Regulations for posting announcements and offering free materials in print form
Your library maintains a bulletin board and a brochure rack as a public service for various agencies, civic bodies, community groups, the library, and the Bridges Library System. All materials for display must be submitted for approval by designated library staff. Any material not so approved will be removed and discarded.
The following announcements and publications will be posted and/or offered in this order of priority:
- Delafield Public Library and the Bridges Library System
- City of Delafield and Waukesha county governmental entities
- State of Wisconsin and U. S. Federal government entities
- Civic, recreational, cultural and educational organizations, with priority given to those events and organizations in the immediate Waukesha County area
- Commercial enterprises containing information of general interest to library customers
Because space is limited, the library makes space available on a first come, first served basis. The library does not guarantee the placement of materials, but undated material may be removed when space is needed for other materials. Dated material will be removed after the effective date. In any event, the library reserves the right to dispose of any materials and will not return materials.
Items offered must conform to certain standards
- Material to be posted must not exceed 11” x 17” in size, with preference given to those items not exceeding 8 ½” x 11”. In the literature display rack, there are slots for magazine-sized and tri-fold publications.
- The library accepts a maximum of 25 copies of a publication or whatever number will fit in the bracket, whichever is less. The responsibility for refilling the literature rack lies with the group.
- No box, receptacle, or canister may be part of any posting or installation.
The following items will not be posted or offered:
- Products/programs sold for profit
- Garage, rummage, home sale or other sale signs
- Personal notices, such as “lost and found”
- Services, such as babysitting, for which fees are charged
- Solicitations of donations
- Campaign literature
- Legal notices
- Private instruction courses
- Business advertisements, including business cards
Civil language mandated
The library will not accept any materials that contain obscene, vulgar, or threatening language targeting individuals or groups (“hate speech”). Racist, xenophobic, homophobic, or sexist publications are banned. The library staff’s judgment will be the criterion.
Adopted by the Delafield Public Library Board of Trustees on April 13, 2017