The Delafield Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge and all of our resources. We seek to provide a welcoming and safe space for all and emphasize pleasant interactions and excellent customer service between staff and the public.
The use of the Library is a privilege and not a right. This privilege is given by the Library and the Library Board of Trustees only to patrons who comply with this code of conduct. Library staff will enforce these guidelines in a consistent and impartial manner.
To ensure a safe and pleasurable experience for all users, please comply with the following rules.
- Interact courteously with other users and Library staff
- Properly check out materials that leave the Library
- Return books by the due date
- Keep Library materials clean, unmarked, and intact
- Follow established computer use guidelines
- Maintain a quiet environment in study areas and computer zones, and observe appropriate noise levels in more active zones and at programs
- Maintain a clean environment
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law
- Disruptive or unsafe behavior, including interfering with Library employees in the performance of their duties, obstructing or intimidating patrons of the Library, or entering non-public areas without authorization
- Offensive gestures, cursing, obscene or abusive language including hate speech, racial slurs, or profanity
- Engaging in any physically intimidating or assaultive behavior or making any threats of violence
- No animals are allowed in the building with the exception of service animals as defined by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). Emotional support animals and/or animals in training are not allowed
- Damaging, defacing, destroying, or stealing Library property
- Drinks are allowed with a secure cover. No food is allowed in the Library.
- Patrons are expected to be appropriately dressed at all times (i.e. shoes, pants/skirts/shorts, shirt, etc.)
- Patrons whose bodily hygiene is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other customers or Library staff may be required to leave the building. This includes, but is not limited to, unclean body odor, overpowering perfume, cologne, or aftershave.
- Smoking of any type is prohibited, including vapor or e-cigarette products
- Bicycles, shopping carts, or other large wheeled conveyances are not permitted inside the Library building. Skates, skateboards, and collapsible scooters must be carried while on Library premises.
- Monopolizing Library space, seating, tables, or equipment to the exclusion of other patrons or staff, or obstructing aisles or doorways with personal belongings. Sleeping is not allowed.
- Unnecessary noise that disturbs other patrons or staff. This includes the use of cell phones, pagers, and other communication, audio and electronic devices. Patrons may use headphones at a noise level that is acceptable. Patrons may use their cell phone in the lobby and can return to the Library upon completion of their call.
- Campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey taking, soliciting, posting notices, fundraising, or selling, unless authorized by the Library Director or designee
- The Library is not responsible for unattended children
- Children under the age of 10 need to be accompanied by an adult. “Unattended” means that a parent or designated person is not in close proximity to the child. If it is determined that a child is lost or left unattended, attempts will be made to locate the parent/responsible person. If they cannot be found, the child will be remanded into the care of the Delafield Police Department.
- Adults using areas designated for children or teens, attending programs for children or teens, or using computers designated for children or teens without being accompanied by a child or teen or without a need to use resources in those areas. Adults unaccompanied by a child or teen may use materials or attend programs in areas designated for children or teens at the discretion of Library staff.
- The Library is not responsible for the personal property of Library patrons
The above enumerated rules are not intended to be a complete list of violations, but are intended for guidance only. Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. Offenders will be given a warning and if, after a second warning, the behavior continues, they will be asked to leave the Library. Library staff and/or local law enforcement officers are authorized to expel persons who, advised of the regulations above, fail to comply with them. Such personnel also reserve the right to take appropriate action(s) against any other behavior which can reasonably be deemed objectively offensive to Library patrons or staff.
Any behavior or actions not listed above will be left to the discretion of the Library Director or his/her designee for review and action. The Library Director and Board of Trustees of the Delafield Public Library reserve the right to review and amend this policy at any time.
Adopted by the Delafield Public Library Board of Trustees on July 10, 2018