“Look, I know everyone thinks their meat loaf is the best, but mine really is. For one thing, I use all beef–no veal, no pork. Why add complication or moral question-ability if you don’t have to? I make a ketchup and molasses glaze that is to die for.” ~When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison
Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Icing
2 eggs, beaten
2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 cup panko crispy bread crumbs
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2/3 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper
6 large potatoes, peeled, cubed
1/4 cup herb butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 18 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix meatloaf ingredients until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups, pressing mixture down firmly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center of loaves reads 160 degrees F. Cool slightly in muffin cups.
- While loaves are baking, in 3-quart saucepan, place potatoes in generously salted cold water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cook potatoes until fork-tender. Drain; return to saucepan. Add butter and 1/4 cup milk; mash until creamy and smooth, adding more milk as necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure mashed potatoes are creamy and smooth so they can be piped onto meatloaves.
- Place potatoes in 10-inch decorating bag without tip. Starting at outside of loaf and in circular motion, pipe potatoes onto each meatloaf. If desired, garnish with additional parsley. Remove from muffin cups.