“Nick was barbecuing shrimp and chicken on the built-in grill that sat beside a fully stocked minibar and a sink, all within serving reach of the aft dinette area.” ~The Heist by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Chicken and Shrimp Skillet Dinner
1/2 pound chicken, sliced thin
1 pound (16-20) extra-large shrimp, cleaned
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup diced white onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cup short grain white rice, rinsed
3 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley, for garnish
Lemon slices, for garnish
- Slice chicken into thin 2-inch strips. Peel shrimp, leaving the tail on, and clean shrimp by running a paring knife down the back and rinsing out the shrimp vein with cold water.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken. Season chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 6 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Add butter, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add rinsed rice to skillet and pour in chicken stock. Stir together and bring mixture to a simmer. Turn heat down to low. Add chicken back to mixture, cover, and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- After simmering for 15 minutes, add cleaned shrimp to skillet. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Uncover skillet and taste rice. Season with salt and pepper if needed. If the skillet has too much liquid, cook uncovered for a minute to thicken.
- Finish chicken and shrimp skillet by garnishing with fresh parsley and lemon slices. Serve skillet while warm.