“Greg came to dinner at the inn on Wednesday night. I’d fussed over the meal, poring over my recipe books, wanting to impress him with my culinary skill. Several times I berated myself for suggesting a home-cooked meal. In the end I chose a stuffed chicken breast recipe instead of steak. I served it along with fresh vegetables from my garden, a green salad with homemade croutons, and a home-baked apple pie for dessert.” ~Sweet Tomorrows by Debbie Macomber
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
12 slices pepperoni
4 fresh basil leaves, plus torn basil for garnish
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut a pocket in each chicken breast and stuff each with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce, 2 tablespoons mozzarella, 3 slices pepperoni, and 1 whole basil leaf.
- Transfer to a large baking dish.
- Brush with olive oil and season with oregano and salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and pepperoni crispy, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and serve.