“I ran downstairs to help Flo through the dinner rush. Addie’s tamale pie with cornmeal pastry was selling like lotto tickets.” ~Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer.
1 box corn muffin mix
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup creamed corn
1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Monterery Jack cheese, shredded
small handful cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare cornbread base. In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, sour cream, creamed corn and egg. Whisk until evenly combined. Pour into a large cast iron skillet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let cool slightly in pan.
- Meanwhile, make your taco meat. Saute onions over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper and spices and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and stir to break up meat. Season to taste and saute until cooked through. Remove skillet from stovetop and drain excess fat.
- Poke entire surface of cornbread with a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over the cornbread. Add the meat mixture and top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake until the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil until cheese begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro, if desired.