The Delafield Public Library’s mission is to provide people with the opportunity to access resources for informational, educational, cultural, recreational and socialization purposes. We seek to provide a welcoming and safe space for all our patrons and emphasize pleasant interactions and excellent customer service between staff and the public.
Public use of meeting rooms is not the primary purpose of the library, and should not be allowed to disrupt the library’s primary purpose.
With that understanding, the library does welcome the use of its meeting rooms and offers their use to the public on equal terms for the lawful activities of groups and individuals. The rooms are reserved on a first come, first served basis. However, library sponsored activities are given the highest priority in the consideration of the use of these facilities.
The Library Program Room includes 6 tables, 20 chairs, screen, sink & microwave.
Who may use the meeting rooms
The meeting rooms are available for non-profit groups or individuals to conduct organizational or program meetings, seminars, study groups, planning sessions, training programs, informational/educational programs and related activities. The library reserves the right to monitor all meetings held on its premises.
The Delafield Public Library does not discriminate in making its premises available for use on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual preference, age or physical limitation. The fact that a group or organization is granted permission to meet in the library in no way constitutes endorsement of the policies or beliefs of that organization by the Library or the City of Delafield.
If there is an application for the use of the rooms that the policy does not cover, the application will be referred to the Library Director for approval, or to the Library Board of Trustees. In the event any dispute arises regarding the use of the library meeting rooms by any person or group, the final decision shall be made by the Library Board of Trustees.
The meeting rooms may be used free of charge but donations are accepted and appreciated.
Who may not use the meeting rooms
Permission to use library meeting rooms will be denied to an organization and/or meeting whose purpose is illegal. Room bookings will be denied or cancelled when the library reasonably believes the purpose of the booking is likely to promote, or would have the effect of promoting, discrimination, contempt or hatred of any group, hatred for any person on the basis of race, ethnic origin, place of origin, citizenship, creed (religion), age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, or any other similar factor.
To allow for diverse use, weekly classes are not permitted unless it is a library program.
Programs must not disrupt the use of the library by others. Persons attending meetings are subject to all library rules, regulations, and policies. Groups who do not follow library policies, fail to leave the room in good condition, or disturb library activity or library users will be denied future use of meeting rooms.
Reserving a meeting room and failing to show for the scheduled day/time may result in denial of future reservations. Please notify the library of a meeting room cancellation 3 days prior to the event if possible.
Reservations must be made by a responsible member of the organization who will see that all regulations are followed. Application must be made in writing prior to the event. The organizational representative must report the number of people expected, and give the name and telephone number of the person responsible for the event.
Hours of availability
Meetings held in the program room must adjourn at least 15 minutes before the library closes. No meeting room space is available outside of library hours of operation. In the event of an emergency, such as inclement weather or a loss of electricity, the library reserves the right to close the library and cancel all use of its meeting rooms. During the busy summer months, daytime use will be restricted to library-only programs. The room will be available from 4:30 pm until closing in the months of June, July, and August.
Restrictions on use:
- Library staff shall have the right to cancel or re-schedule dates that conflict with library sponsored programs and/or special events. For the purpose of the policy, the Delafield Public Library & the Friends of the Delafield Public Library will be given first priority and may be exempted from any or all of these restrictions and conditions, upon approval of the Library Director.
- Private parties are not permitted.
- Selling or sales promotions are prohibited with the exception of the library itself or the Friends of the Delafield Public Library.
- No person or organization may make excessive use of meeting room.
- No admission fee may be charged.
- No organization may use the library’s address as its own organizational address.
- Except in cases of emergency, messages cannot be conveyed to meeting room guests.
- Attendance at authorized meetings may not exceed the posted room capacities.
- The library will provide chairs, tables, and a projection screen. However, the group shall be responsible for any advance preparations, for setting up and putting away furnishings used for the group’s meeting, as well as clearing away their own equipment. The use of hazardous materials is strictly prohibited. In addition, the room must be left in the manner in which it was found, including the placement of all tables and chairs.
- Applications for use of a meeting room may not be made more than three months in advance.
- Light refreshments may be served. Groups are responsible for providing their own refreshment and clean-up supplies. Furthermore, groups are responsible for proper disposal of garbage. No alcoholic beverages may be served.
- It is understood that the City of Delafield and the Delafield Public Library assume no responsibility whatever for any property placed in the library in connections with a meeting, exhibit or display; and that the City of Delafield and the Delafield Public Library are hereby expressly released and discharged from any and all liability for any loss, injury, or damage to persons or property which may be sustained by reason of a meeting, exhibit or display.
- The fact that a group is permitted to use a library meeting room does not in any way constitute endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs by the library. No advertisements or announcements implying such endorsements will be permitted.
Adopted by the Delafield Public Library Board of Trustees on March 13, 2018